Wednesday, October 19, 2011

WK8


The images below are puzzles that encourage us to use visual thinking to solve them. Engaging in various operations of visual thinking helps us to come up with the solution to each puzzle. I asked my housemate Priscilla to attempt both puzzles with me.



For the first puzzle called Next Square, Priscilla and I basically followed the pattern of the first 4 boxes and were able to choose the answer from multiple choices. We both came up with the correct answer E that seemed to be comprehensible to with sequence. However, we used very different strategies. Priscilla explained that she used the pattern-seeking principle to figure out the answer. The pattern she came up with involved the lines inside the square, she said that the center lines rotated counter clockwise, while skipping one square in between, which ultimately led her to choose answer E. The way I solved the puzzle was different. At first I used pattern completion, but I soon realized this would not work so I simply took a step back and looked at the big picture. Randomly I recognized that the pattern were numbers increasing one by one, so I chose the answer E.



For the second puzzle, we had to find as many triangles we could in the image. Priscilla and I used an active pattern-seeking process to find how many triangles were used to form this abstract cat. In this puzzle, we were able to find the solution by pattern finding. We both categorized the various parts of the cat so that we could keep track of how many triangles were forming each section. Eventually, Priscilla and I found all 20 triangles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment